Monday, November 28, 2011

Emma's Birth Story



The morning of October 25, 2011 I woke up with a plan.  I was 39 weeks and 6 days pregnant and I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for 9:15 am.  My mom was on her way from Tuscaloosa and the kids got dropped off for their daily routines. The bags were loaded in the car and Jason and I set off for the hospital intent on having a baby that day.  I had made sure that my appointment was with Dr. McIntyre who was the on call doctor for that day, and during my previous appointment the week before the doctor had noted that an induction would be okay by him if this baby didn't come on her own.  I figured all my ducks were in a row and was trying to keep my nerves settled.
Once in the doctor's office I was checked and noted to be a little over 4 cm dilated.  Not big news to me since this is where I had been hanging out waiting for labor to start for the last two weeks.  Thankfully the labor and delivery floor had a light load that day and so they sent me down to be admitted.  Unfortunately I had tested positive for Group B Strep and needed to have IV antibiotics during labor, so once I was changed and settled I had to sit for two hours with an IV in my arm before getting my water broken. 
IV in place, getting excited that today is the day!

The doctor came in at 12:30 to rupture my membranes and hopefully kick labor into gear.  I had complete confidence my body would take over and I wouldn't need any medication for contractions to start and I was right.  About 45 minutes later and a few chapters into my book, they started.
in the midst of a contraction
An unfair portrayal of what contractions really look like, but this was the beginning...those that came later are not necessary for public witness.  Around 3:30 we decided that we would go the epidural route.  I was still well in control, but things were progressing very quickly and I didn't want to be the screaming banshee woman that  I was during my last delivery.  The anesthesiologist placed the epidural which was the worst part of the entire process! Two hours later it was time to push and just a few pushes (Thank you Lord!) Emma was born at 5:50 pm!
 My first glimpse of Emma!
Now my pregnancy was quite complicated so I am thankful and blessed that this birth was so quick and downright easy for me.  When Emma was placed on my chest she was quiet and scrunched faced.  I must say I was concerned that she wasn't making more noise.  I prefer my newborns red faced and screaming.  The doctor and nurse were cooing over how perfect she was, but I needed a good cry from her toes.
Fresh from heaven!


I got my wish when the nurse took her over to be weighed, measured, scored and ultimately poked.  I have never been more thankful for that Vitamin K shot.  Emma let out a powerful healthy cry and momma was relieved and happy. 
Emma weighed in at 7 pounds 11 ounces and 20 inches long.  She is my skinniest baby with the longest gestation.  Tell my how that works, but I will take it.  She is 20 inches of perfection!
The Fabulous Dr. Catherine McIntyre!

Kelly, our labor nurse. She was wonderful!

Love at first sight, Daddy and Emma


1 comment: