Monday, December 10, 2012

Happy Halloween!

When the time came for the kids to decide what they were going to be for Halloween, there was very little hesitation.  Allison: cowgirl, Jack: musketeer.  Emma: ladybug because we have the costume and she fits in it. 
This is how the conversation went from there:
me: "Jack, a musketeer, are you sure?"
Jack:  "Yes, I need a sword and boots, a bib with a cross on it, but not a pointy cross, a rounded cross."
me: "How about being a pirate?"
Jack: "I want to be a musketeer."

So the time came for me to begin searching pinterest and google for musketeer costumes.  When I came up short and only found tutorials for making my own, I decided to jump in with both feet.  With the help of Mimi and a two hour trip to Joann Fabrics, we came out with a plan.  Armed with fabric, ribbon, and a no-sew plan with heavy dependence on my iron I began my adventure in costume making.  I made Jack's first since his vision was so detailed and had very little wiggle room.  The end product was this:
Musketeer Jack
The hat was at Party City and was the last hat of its kind.  It wasn't even marked with a price.  I was going to buy it no matter what, since it was the perfect hat!  Mimi found the red feather that Jack insisted upon.  Red feather, not any other color, only red.  I have to credit Mimi with the cape as well.  Jack loves "Puss In Boots" and he wears a black cape.  So to add the cherry on top of his Halloween sundae, Jack got a black cape. 

Allison wanted to be a cowgirl with freckles, three on each side.  I have to give my children credit, they know what they want.  All the cowgirl costumes on the retail market are a little to risque for my taste, so with some felt and tassle I went to work.  She wanted a horse that she could ride, but since that is probably violating our HOA bylaws she made do with carrying her stuffed FSU horse, Renegade.
Strike a pose! 

Emma was a little ladybug and she rode in style in the double stroller.  She held a candy bar in each hand for the duration of Trick or Treating.  It was only in the final moments that she discovered that there was something wonderfully tasty inside the wrapping. 
Little Ladybug
Trick or Treat!


No comments:

Post a Comment