Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Christmas in Tuscaloosa

Now that we live outside Atlanta, the trip to Granny's house is significantly shorter.  We enjoyed the short three and half hour car ride over the state line into Tuscaloosa.  This was the first time we had been to T-town since the tornado destroyed a chunk of the city.  It was dumbfounding to see the destruction that still remains and the vast openness that the tornado left behind.  It is one thing to see it on the news, but to see the gash it tore in person leaves me speechless and profoundly sad for those who are attempting to recover. 
After we drove through town, we arrived out at Lake Tuscaloosa at Granny and Grandpa's house.  We were greeted by  Uncle Joe and Aunt Brandi, Auntie Anne and Aunt Sybil as well.  We opened gifts and enjoyed being together out at the lake.  My mom and her husband built a house next door to my grandparent's lake house.  The activities my children are doing at Granny's house are similar to the ones I remember doing myself when I went to Grandmommy and Grandaddy's house. It is a bit surreal to watch my children throw rocks in the lake, dig in the dirt and run down the hill knowing that they are creating solid experiences that they will draw on later in their life.  The memories of rolling down the hill and skipping rocks came like waves to the forefront of my mind.  I just stood back and watched.  My children who are surrounded by electronics and are growing up in an age of instant gratification could still make a game out of throwing berries into the lake that lasted for close to an hour.

 Allison has a singing Justin Beiber toothbrush thanks to Auntie Anne and Aunt Laura.  She now loves to brush her teeth and we have a nightly dance party in the bathroom to two minutes of "Baby, OH!"


Granny getting some cuddle time with sweet, sleepy Emma.


 Geared up and bundled for the first walk down to the lake.  Two things are guaranteed:  that the kids come back with dirty knees and that the dog jumps in the lake.


 Sometimes they do show love for each other, we are saving this one for the record books!
Pretty sure there is a picture of me in a picture album somewhere doing this exact pose on this exact rock.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
 Picking berries for our throwing contest.
 Look at that form!
 Allison was the judge and everyone except her had to participate.  Farthest toss won.

 Told you it was a guarantee.  That dog will swim in 20 degree water any day.
The kids with Mimi, we were so glad that she came along for the trip!

Rock and leaf collecting is an excellent past time out at the lake.  There are lots to pick from and you usually have on a jacket or sweatshirt with pockets to accommodate quite a collection.

I realize looking back that I did a very poor job of photographing the kids with their grandparents, aunts and uncle.  I need to improve on this as well as getting pictures with me and their Dad so they will remember what we looked like way back when.  While out at the point I did manage to grab them for a few self portraits.

No comments:

Post a Comment