Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A day at the fair

I was raised in a family that never went to the fair.  My mom was dead set against it and we were never allowed to go.  She had lots of reasons, it was dirty, the rides were dangerous and would make us sick, and there were so many people it would be easy to get lost or stolen.  She was right, but my husband was raised with a different mindset when it came to the fair. Last year he convinced me to go and we had a lot of family fun. So when the annual Clay County Agricultural Fair sets up in town, we pack up and go.   As expected my children love the animals and the very first thing Allison asks for is a pony ride.  She likes the big white one..."It's a girl one" she says.
Jack had his eye on the little brown pony from the moment we went through the gate.  He smiled through the entire ride.



Allison is typically quite fearful, but when it comes to fair rides the sky is the limit.  The faster the better and she keeps asking to go on the big rides.  The roller coaster is her favorite.  She was tall enough this year to do the bungee trampoline bounce thing.  So I kept my pounding heart and crazy mom nerves to myself and perched myself across the attraction from her so I couldn't see how high my four year old was really bouncing. 

She of course had a blast and asked to do it again.  Jason and I were both shocked at our little thrill seeker.  She didn't demonstrate one moment of hesitation at bouncing 2 stories in the air.
Jack was not left out of the thrill rides and since he is 36 inches tall, he was able to ride most of the kiddie rides by himself.  His big sister chaperoned of course.  I said numerous times, "I can't believe I am letting my kids do this".  A little bit of independence goes a long way and I think they enjoyed themselves even more because if it.  Their faces say it all.

All the fair rides, games and animals left us a little hungry.  It was a unanimous vote for dinner: 

No comments:

Post a Comment